Sooo this week I found out that my friend Feather at work will be celebrating her last day at XYZ on Wednesday. Not only that but she will be moving, and moving in with her boyfriend Teddy Ruxspin.

I'm jealous for a million reasons -- 1. She doesn't have to deal with Ima Horrible-Person, our boss and the whole XYZ land of insanity. 2. I want to move or move in with Dave but in due time I suppose, can't rush these things and it's only been a year of bliss - although Feather and Teddy have only been together 9 mo. -- different time tables I suppose. 3. She gets to leave XYZ.

So I'm very unhappy at my job right now. In fact every morning I wake up and try to come up with a creative way to call in sick. But then realize that one only has a certain number of allotted sick days and well it's sinus season so I'm bound to get a sinus infection and actually need to use them -- then I have to force myself to go. I put on my happy face and step into the office -- within about 5 minutes I physically feel ill and have to do all I can not to run out the door.

I don't know what it is -- but ever since they moved me over to the Canadian side of things the wee bit of happiness that I am capable of feeling has been sucked out of me and I am becoming bitter, cynical and angry. The source of this could be a variety of things, the Canadians, Ima, and just the tall gray-green cubes that prevent anyone from seeing anyone all darn day, including people, sunlight and or a fax machine. No chit chat on the dark side. No words of encouragement - not that I feed off of that stuff but it is a nice icing on the cake of crud I call work. I'm just unhappy and dread work. I know - everybody hates their job, but seriously I have never been filled with so much disdain.

I used to love work -- I've always loved work and even when I was working in the portable toilet industry - I loved my shitty job. But this - this is not something I signed up for. 1. My boss has told me that I'm a small thinker and that I'm thinking inside a box and she doesn't know how to tell me how to change. And seriously get some new material for telling people in a PC way you think they are stupid, Taco Bell slogans aren't cutting the cake.

I'm a glorified bill collector. I call people (not even real people but businesses - as XYZ doesn't deal with the public at large but only commercial companies) and ask them nicely to pay their bills. Resolve issues and some how I don't even see where this profession has a box. It's not rocket science, it's common sense. One minute they tell me I'm calling them too much, stop faxing statements (Mind you a statement can take 14 days to reach some of the people in Canada - the mail system up there is f-d up)pardon me for being proactive. Then the next minute they want to know why my moring calls have slowed down -- hello these Canadians are on different time zones. I'm not going to call when it's 6:30 in British Columbia, talk to some janitor or maintenance worker who wouldn't know how to transfer me to voicemail if his life depended on it.

So I'm unofficially looking. But in the meantime expressed my unhappiness to Ima and to my old boss and I have an appointment to talk to the head of our office on Wednesday. I'd gladly move back to Texas - and try to go back to normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home