Birthdays

So my birthday is coming up -- and I've been recalling the best and worst of the birthdays of the past.

The worst birthday -- by far was 2004. I was in Winona, my friends had moved away - my parents forgot it was my birthday -- kind of hard since it's my Grandma's birthday as well -- but they forgot to call anyway -- I walked to the grocery store, picked up a round birthday cake -- and ate the whole thing while watching Seinfeld re-runs.

My kindergarten birthday party was fantastic -- my parents hauled me and my friends to the Chucky Cheese in a Motorhome and we ate pizza and played games.

Once in awhile my birthday will fall on Easter -- it's happened twice so far, once when I was 8 or 9 and I spent the Saturday before out with my Grandma -- we went shopping and I sat on the Easter Bunny's lap for a picture. The second time it fell on Easter -- was not so fantastic -- it was my 21st birthday -- and since I was older than most of my friends -- I ended up going to the Gay 90's with 2 underage friends but it was ok since it was 18+ night and one of the friends sister drove us there --- and I was inebriated - gone with the wind, or two sheets to the wind -- and apparently I was sharing my drink and was kicked out. We went back to the friends house- and then we got up at 4 in the morning -- only for me to drive us back to Winona, hung over --- and tired and I had to work at 7:30. Not so much fun.

The following year included one two many drinks as well and I learned the valuable lesson that one should not eat macaroni and cheese after consuming large quantities of alcohol -- as it will liquefy and want a show stopping exit. I hate to vomit, so lesson learned.

Last year for my birthday -- I had a quite weekend away at Gwen's -- I probably disappointed her - because my loud obnoxious drinking phases has ended --- I can still be loud and obnoxious mind you-- I'm just not a good drinker -- a couple beers or a couple bloody mary's and I'm good.

I don't remember a lot of my earlier birthdays -- or they all blur together -- a bunch of girls watching Annie or some other cheesy movie in sleeping bags out in the living room floor, I remember going to a religious shrine and meeting a bishop for my birthday, I was thrilled then - but I was also probably 8 -- how lame were my parents!

Once thing has remained constant --- my mother is obsessed with getting multiple birthday cards --- I've also adapted this practice - but I limit myself to two, she will get 8 -- and we get a birthday card each day for the week of our birthdays.


This year for my birthday --- I just want to go out to dinner and cuddle on the couch with Dave watching some wonderful Monday night TV- -- it's bad enough my birthday is on a Monday. God knows I don't need the cake or the fuss -- maybe some anti wrinkle cream? OK not yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home