So I have this friend/former roommate from college who happens to be a new mother. And we talk on the phone from time to time. Let's call her Amelia



Today we had a conversation to play catch up - She's living in her new apartment with her boyfriend, Dick who I think is kind of a jerk, self centered,etc. I've only met him once and the weekend I stayed with them in Milwaukee. He was moody and crabby - and this can be understandable as this was the 1st week their baby came home from the hospital. Ok so maybe he's grown up a little bit and put on his big boy hat? Noooo.



I feel bad for Amelia . I mean - she's with this guy - who I'm sure has endearing qualities - but as far as I can see he's just an a-hole.



They are new parents and he is still satisfying all of his wants before his child's needs. Road trips with the guys, a motorcycle, a new car they can't afford, and he hasn't proposed to Amelia. He says he's saving up for the perfect ring and then they will start saving for the dream wedding.



*side bar*

Now recently Ava posted about how she's downsized her dream ring - which is shocking. But really impressive. And I agree, I mean it's not about the ring, yes they are pretty to look at - but when it comes down to it - it's a marriage that you want in the end - not a pretty bauble.
Bonus points if you get both - but by no means should a big fancy ring be a requirement. Amerlia I'm afraid is still Coo-Coo for Karats. I've never been a big wedding person but again if that's your dream - so be it - but again not about the wedding, it's about the marriage.

*end sidebar*

So maybe this is just me - but if you are living with your boyfriend for years and years and you have a baby - complete with two baby showers. Can you still have the big traditional church wedding filling pews upon pews with hundreds of guests?

I mean, I get - it's the symbolic begining of your lives together forever amen - but your lives together have already started - family has started. Maybe I'm out of touch, or too much a realist but isn't it a lot of time, effort and money to put into a 1 day long celebration and party. (i.e. college fund for the kid or perhaps a down payment on a house?) I'm not saying they can't have a church wedding - I'm saying that maybe they should look at something smaller - more intimate and not just a meal in exchange for presents? Ok maybe that was mean or maybe I'm just incapable of being frivoulous.

3 Comments:

  1. Annabelle Tinley said...
    Yeah dick sounds like a...dick kristen you are losing your creativity with names. Personally I think the reason Cate needs the big ring and the big wedding is because she wants the big love that is supposed to go with it...with a guy like dick she may eventually put on the show but the day after the wedding...well shes going to miss out on the big love part which is what really matters for the next 30+ years. I understand that she wants this guy to be mister right and for her sake hopefully she figures out that he isnt sooner rather than later.
    Anonymous said...
    it all sounds like too much trouble. and i would kill kill KILL my boyfriend if he bought a motorcycle and went on roadtrips with money we need for food and rent and baby crap.

    that might be why im single without a baby. its for the best. more people live this way.
    Kristen said...
    ok I'll come up with a new name...

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home